I’m using merged HTML Help. Sometimes when I recompile the
master project, RoboHelp deletes the [Merged Files] section in the
.hhp file. As a result, many things no longer work –search,
F1 help etc.
The problem seems to happen when the master RoboHelp project
is modified and then recompiled.
The master .hhc file is still good – the slave CHMs
still show up in the Table of Contents pane and can be accessed by
clicking in the TOC.
Re-adding the merged CHMs back into the TOC seems to fix the
problem. But that’s not a good solution for us to have to always do
that, since we have about 52 possible CHMs in the project.
Hi hapax_legomenon and welcome to the forums. I have never
come across a problem such as yours. Can I ask the “N” question? Is
your project located on a network? If so, move it off. Have you
also tried creating a new master project, merging in your slaves
and recompiling. Does the same happen then?|||
I am working on my project locally, not across a network.
I did try recreating the project from scratch, but it the
same problem still occurs
I tried pasting the [Merge Files] from a previous .hhp into
the new .hhp, and that seems to work. But it would be nice to
figure out why RoboHelp is deleting that section in the first
OK time for the sledgehammer approach unless anyone else has
a suggestion. Create a new project and import in each merged
project one at a time and compile before importing the next. Does
the same problem occur? If it only occurs after a certain merged
file is imported you’ve narrowed down the problem. Next you need to
identify what in the merged project is causing the problem. Adopt
the same approach by creating a new project and importing some of
the topics from the problem project. Compile and merge in the
master. If that works, add some more topics from the problem
project. Keep going until you hit the problem. Eventually you
hopefully identify the exact project/topic that is causing the
I think I found the problem – a bad Remote Topic link in the
master chm. I guess the compiler choked when it tried to process
I’m having the problem where files are intermittently being
deleted from the [MERGE FILES] section of the hhp file.
By “Remote Topic” do you mean a link to an external CHM file
(one of the merged ones?)? And how did you locate it?
Sorry, I think I was wrong in my post yesterday. As I dig a
little deeper in my memory now, this is what I should have said:
I have a
master .chm with only one topic,
main.htm. Other than that the master .chm is essntially
emtpy except for the links to the merged “slave” .chms, which links
can be seen in the RoboHelp TOC pane, and also are in the .hhp and
While troubleshooting, I found a bad link to a remote topic
(a topic contained in one of the slave chms). It was linking to
bControl.chm::/Collections/working_with_collections.htm, but it
should have been bControl.chm::/working_with_collections.htm. I
thought this was the problem, and I fixed it.
However, (now I remember this) in working with the help
system further, it still deleted my [Merged Files] section in the
.hhp. It seems that whenever I make any changes at all to main.htm,
RoboHelp deletes the [Merged Files] section when I recompile. I
still do not know why this is happening. I have recreated my master
.chm project completely from scratch several times, but that hasn’t
solved the problem.
My solution was not to change main.htm. If I ever do need to
change it, I will make the change and then delete and then re-add
all the merged links in the master project.
Hm, still doesn’t work.
Whenever I changed my master project and recompile, it nukes
my Merge section in the .hhp.|||
I have a project with 7 merged chm files. It is always the
seventh one that gets bumped off. I’ve tried reordering the chms,
but it’s always that last one.
- Index keywords missing
- Files required to view .chm
- Merging help files,
- question about Merged Projects.
- Disappearing/Reappearing CHM files, Part II
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.